Friday, February 10, 2006

Kitchen Witchery Welcomes You!

Let me introduce myself. I am a kitchen witch; I love to shop for food, to cook food, and to eat food. I love to talk about food as well, be it snarky or raving. I hope that this blog will include tidbits about all those things. My husband and I also plan to post reviews of the Madison restaurants in which we have dined. We will certainly have different criteria for what makes a great dining experience, but together we hope to give you good tips about where to eat in Madison.

I am a non-seafood-eating vegetarian and this guides my choice of restaurants and recipes, and this is the viewpoint from which I will approach reviewing restaurants. I do not like having to order side dishes from the menu, and generally, I find "veggie burgers" to be flavorless and slimy. I don't usually go in for let's-pretend-it's-meat dining, nor do I look for meat substitues (that said, however, Boca brats are awesome). I love Middle Eastern and African food, usually because there are often so many vegetarian options, and also because they are filled with cumin and cinnamon and chickpeas and they come with pita or injera bread. And I love all those things.

Among my favorite things to cook at home are falafel, stews and soups, pasta, curry, and stir-fry. We have started to dabble in sushi, too, and while it tastes fantastic, it looks like a six-year-old rolled it. More practice needed there. If I find any swell techniques, I'll pass them along.

Bon appetit!

No comments: